UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
PER NEW YORK STATE MANDATE: ALL PASSENGERS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR FACE MASKS, FOR THE SAFETY OF OTHER RIDERS AND OPERATORS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. CUSTOMERS CAN BE REFUSED SERVICE WITHOUT A MASK.
Our new Riders Guide will help you understand Nassau County's Able Ride Service. The Guide answers many common questions and outlines the Services offered.
You can download the Riders Guide here. Also available en Espanol.
Hours of Operation
Able-Ride service is comparable to the regularly scheduled fixed route bus service during the same days and hours, including weekends and holidays. Whenever there is a fixed route bus service available, Able-Ride service will also be available. If there is no regular bus service, Able-Ride service will also be unavailable. Able-Ride service will vary depending on our pick-up or destination area.
Able-Ride provides trips that start and end within ¾ of a mile of fixed route service that is operating at the time the customer wishes to travel. Request for service that starts or ends outside of the ¾ mile area cannot be accepted.
To find out if your address is within the Able Ride service area, please call 1-516-228-4000.
Able-Ride will take you to any location within the ADA service area within Nassau County.
Trips may be for any reason, including educational, personal, recreational or business-related purposes.
Able-Ride customers can also travel from Nassau County to points east in Suffolk County or to points west in New York City by transferring to Suffolk's SCAT or New York City Transit's Access-A-Ride paratransit system. Customers who transfer are required to pay both fares.
Able-Ride does NOT serve in the following areas:
- Oyster Bay
- Lido Beach
- Point Lookout
- Locust Valley
- Sands Point
Able-Ride provides partial service in the following areas:
- Valley Stream
- Old Bethpage
- Long Beach
- Glen Cove
Able-Ride provides direct service to points approximately two miles east of the Nassau/Suffolk border. For destinations further east, you can transfer to a SCAT bus at Walt Whitman Mall, Huntington; Sunrise Mall, and Massapequa.
- For travel between Nassau and Suffolk Counties call Able-Ride at 516-228-4000.
- For trips wholly within Suffolk County call Suffolk County's SCAT system at 631-738-1150.
- For travel between Nassau and Queens Counties call Able-Ride at 516-228-4000 and New York City Transit's Access-A-Ride at 877-337-2017 to reserve these trips.
Customers may transfer to Access-A-Ride at Green Acres Mall (main entrance-south side at J.C. Penney) in Valley Stream, Northwell Health (450 Lakeville Rd, Building B) in New Hyde Park.
How to Arrange for a Trip
A NEW WAY TO BOOK YOUR ABLE RIDE TRIP IS HERE: ABLE RIDE WEB BOOKING!
You can now manage your able ride account via your phone, tablet or computer. Able Ride Web booking allows you to book trips, edit trips, get real time arrival info. It's fast and simple to use. To register for Able Ride Web Booking
OR BOOK YOUR TRIP BY PHONE
You can arrange for an Able-Ride trip up to seven days in advance by calling Able-Ride at 516-228-4000, weekdays, Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For customers who are deaf or hard of hearing, please use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay.
Please have the following information ready for both the pick-up and return trips:
- Your ID number, as it appears on your identification card.
- The date of your trip(s).
- The address and telephone number of your pick-up and destination locations.
- If the place of the pick-up/destination has more than one door or entrance, be ready to specify which entrance and be sure to include the nearest cross street or landmark. Also, please note that Able-Ride offers a brochure listing the Key Pick-Up and Drop-Off Location for designated stops at frequently visited locations in Nassau County.
- The time you wish to arrive.
- Whether you require space for a Personal Care Attendant (PCA), a guest, or both.
- The time you wish to return.
- Any special instructions, such as the need for the bus operator to announce his or her presence if you are visually impaired.
- Register your cell phone with Able-Ride so it can contact you in the event of a service change
The reservationist will tell you while you are on the telephone whether or not your trip request can be accommodated. You may be offered an alternate pick-up or return time.
On the Day of Your Trip
Please have your exact fare and ID card ready when the bus arrives. Able-Ride's service policy provides for a 30-minute window during which Able-Ride customers must be available to board the bus. The reservationist will inform you of the start time of 30-minute window for pick-up. The bus will arrive at that time or within the next 30 minutes. If you provided the reservationist with a cell phone number, make sure your phone is turned on in case Able-Ride attempts to contact you.
Please be prepared to board the bus when it arrives. When your driver arrives, he or she is only required to wait five minutes into the pick-up window. If the bus has not arrived after the 30-minute window, please call Able-Ride at 516-228-4000. For customers who are deaf or hard of hearing, please use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay.
Able-Ride Bus Operator Assistance
The bus operator is authorized to assist you on and off the bus but will not enter any buildings. If you need additional assistance, a licensed health care professional must authorize that you travel with a personal care assistant.
The bus operator may not help you load packages onto an Able-Ride vehicle. Packages must be limited to the size and number you, your Personal Care Attendant, and/or your guest can carry and store safely under the seats or on laps. Packages may not be placed in the aisles, and you may not make multiple trips to load or unload packages.
When you can't make it or wish to confirm a trip click here to cancel your trip via email.